Everything about industrial fresh dairy products
8 July 2016
A wide range of fresh dairy products
Among fresh dairy produce, various kinds of fresh products may be found:
- Fromage frais or fromage blanc: creamy soft cheese, with a sweet and slightly sour taste, that may even be flavoured. This type of cheese is unripened. Fromages blancs, faisselles and Petit-Suisse belong to this category.
- Yoghurts: products from milk fermentation seeded with two particular bacteria, Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococus thermophilus. Yoghurts may be firm, stirred, sweetened, flavoured, with fruits or liquids to be drunk.
- Fresh creams: products from milk skimming, they underwent only one pasteurisation as well as an eventual addition of lactic ferments before packing. Fermentation, or lack thereof, and fat content define several types of fresh creams (liquid, light and liquid, thick, light and thick).
- Fresh dairy desserts: preparations that contains a majority of milk or cream, and sugar and aromas (at least 50% of dairy produce, other ingredients may be sugar, rice, eggs, chocolate…). These products do not benefit from an acidic protection, as a result a systematic heat treatment is necessary as well as a special care for packaging. This wide category of products regroups: gelatinised milk, flavoured renneted milk products, mousses, puddings, custard topped with caramel.
- Fermented milk: products obtained from milk fermentation that underwent a heat treatment similar to pasteurisation and that were seeded with microorganisms. They are all obtained from the development of a microbial flora of probiotics (live microorganisms, that have a benefical effect when the right quantity is ingested), these products may also generate prebiotics (oligosaccharides for instance) that may stimulate growth of beneficial bacterial strains.
Nutritional composition may vary
Fat reduction, sugar and sweetener addition, cream or fruit addition are elements that have an impact on the nutritional values of fresh dairy products.
Nevertheless, their main ingredient being milk, these products are usually sources of:
- Amino acids
Click here to discover the various industrial fresh products offered by FIT.